Sunday, April 24, 2011

Muscles and Fats

My weighing scale broke down eons ago, and because of my recent pursuit in weight loss I was contemplating on buying one. I was having second thoughts because I don't have the money to spare (and I'm saving money because I'm going on a trip next month!!! ), and it's also a bit depressing to know your actual weight. When my waistline was 40", I remember my weight was yoyo-ing between 97-100 kilos. Now that my waist is over 40"...
Honestly I don't want to know how much past the 100 kilo mark my weight is. But I've read various fitness articles over the net that having a scale helps you in losing weight since you can monitor your weight better. If you slip a bit, you'll know and you'll get motivated to back on track. Then, after reading a few more articles and after googling various stuffs, I saw this picture

A side by side comparison: 5lb of fat vs 5lb of muscle


I'm not sure how accurate that representation is. I've 'googled' muscles vs fat earlier and from all the sites that I looked into that put up pictures of muscle and fat replica, none of them explained how they came across this picture and how accurate it is. If this is representation is accurate, this is something that's good to know. A lot of people use BMI to determine how much weight they need to be for their height. While knowing your BMI and the ideal BMI for your height can give you a good idea on what is a healthy weight, one should also measure their Body Fat Percentage. You can find a lot of body fat percentage calculators online (I used the one found in the Healthstatus.com site), but it's probably better to have a physician measure it for you. But here are my results:


I used the calculator and it said that my body fat percentage is 61.27% when using the U.S. Navy body fat formula, and 47.42% using the formula developed by the YMCA. Yikes for both results (note: I just gave a fair estimate of my weight on the calculator since I don't know my actual weight.). It also says that the average body fat percentage for U.S. females is 32% (the ideal for non athlete females between ages 20-40 is 19%-26%). I'm doing strength training, but I only do it once a week. After knowing my body fat percentage, I will to more strength training now

I recommend reading these articles to know more:

Muscle does not weigh more than fat (five pounds is five pounds), but it is much nicer to look at
Build muscle to lose fat - Fat vs Muscle diagram
Muscle vs Fat

No comments:

Post a Comment